Learn French in Paris
Famous for its rich history, beautiful architecture and cultural diversity, Paris remains one of the most visited cities in the world. Paris has always been a hive of artistic and intellectual activity with its 134 museums, 170 theatres, world famous universities and year round cultural festivals. Paris is also of course the capital of fashion and design and internationally renowned for its boutiques, department stores and young designers.
The Eiffel Tower
The Eiffel Tower was built for the World Fair of 1889, in order to commemorate the centenary of the French Revolution. It carries the name of its engineer, Gustave Eiffel. It is 320 meters high (1050 feet), and held the record of the highest construction in the world up until 1930. Disapproved by the artistic and literary elite of Paris, the Eiffel Tower fared well in not being dismantled in 1909. It escaped from this sad fate when it was discovered as the ideal place where to fix antennas needed for the new science of the time : radio telegraphy.
Avenue des Champs Elysées
The Avenue 'Champs Elysées' symbolized the style and the joy of life in Paris. This place was abounded with private hotels and barouches. Marked out by the 'Arc de Triomphe' and the 'Obelisk', it is now the theatre of great events such as the traditional military procession on July 14th. But the appearences of car expeditions, showrooms, fast food chains and cinemas have somewhat tarnished the reputation of the avenue. Nevertheless at 2km long and 70m wide, it remains an ideal place to stroll past the hotels, bars, and different stores open late into the evening, and on sundays. Address : Avenue des Champs Elysées, Paris 8ème, Métro Charles de Gaulle - Etoile
Place de la Concorde
Formally known as 'Place Louis XV', as it was created to welcome the statue of the King in 1757, it took the name 'Place de la Révolution' in 1792 and became the site of many executions. Amongst those who faced the guillotine where Marie-Antoinette, Danton, Robespierre, Saint Just and Lavoisier. The square acquired its current name after 'La Terreur' in 1830. To set to rest the ghosts and myths of this bloody square, Louis Philippe had the square redesigned by the architect Jaques Ignace Hittorff who designed the fountains and who placed at each corner of the square statues that symbolised the important towns in France. In 1836, the 'Obelisque de Louksor' was erected, it stands at a height of 25 metres, and dates from 1300 BC. It was given to France by Méhemet Ali, an Egyptian Royal. The 'Place de la Concorde' is the biggest Parisian square at 360 metres long and 210 metres wide.